Pinnacle GradeBook Viewer
click here to learn more about:
Final grades on the report card are between 0 and 100.
The grade is determined by points earned divided by the sum of the total points.
Most extra credit is added to the FINAL grade at the very end of the marking period.
Important notes about grades and Pinnacle:
- Please understand that grades might not be posted until 1-2 weeks AFTER assignment has been turned in.
(please let me know if you see a missing grade after this time has passed)
- I try to get TEST scores up as soon as possible (usually within 24-48 hours)
- Please check out the PIV symbols (Z, X, 0, and "!") section below.
- Middle school grades do not go on high school transcripts for college.
- Please do NOT focus on the FINAL grade at the start of a marking period.
- After the first test, packet grades will be posted instead of individual worksheet grades. I post them individually at first to give students an idea of how the homework is graded.
- Most math homework assignments are usually 5 points each and tests are worth 100.
- These assignments are generally put together in packets.
- Students lose points for...
* incomplete/late work
* no name or math class
* writing in pen
* sloppy work
* inaccuracy (a mistake here or there is OK)
* lack of effort
QUIZZES & TESTS
- Tests are worth 100.
- Quiz scores vary (less than 50 points)
- Neither has to be signed but all of them must be returned within a week of getting them back.
- Some assignments have grades that are weighted differently than others.
- Projects and other assignments might vary in points.
OTHER NOTES ABOUT STUDENT WORK
- Not every assignment is graded.
- Students should NOT email teachers about grades because they can easily speak with us in person.Parents are welcome to send questions to email@example.com
- Due dates on PIV might not match up perfectly with the actual due date. Assignment books are more accurate. One reason is to keep assignments in a certain order on PIV.
- Focus on what is due NOW and in the near future rather than on past grades that can't be changed.
- Extra credit points are added at the very end of the marking period after all grades have been finalized.
- Students do not receive a grade for Advisory Period.
Important PIV Symbols
X = excused from assignment
Does not count in calculation of grades.
Z = "working zero"
Lets you and the student know that an assignment was not turned in but still can be for credit; calculated as a zero in gradebook until checked by teacher. Often seen when a student has been absent.
0 = zero
Student earned no credit for assignment; it calculates as zero and represents a final grade for that assignment.
Blank = no score entered at this time
Does not count in calculation of grades... yet.
Often seen when an assignment is up but a score has not been entered yet. It may take a few weeks for a grade to be entered after it is turned in.
PIV may list it as "student missing assignment" or you may see "!" listed as well. There are a lot of students on our team, so thank you for being patient.
Academic Awards/Honor Roll
Garnet Award – The Garnet Award is given to students who have a combined average grade of 90 or higher in all major subjects with no grade lower than an 80 or an “S”.
Gray Award – The Gray Award is given to students who have a combined average grade of 85 or higher in all major subjects with no grade lower than an 80 or an “S”.
Team 5A Late / Missing Assignment Chart
The chart below details how many points will be deducted each day an assignment is late or missing. Any assignment more than 3 school days late will receive no credit. This chart is given out during Open House.
There are occasional assignments where students might earn a ZERO if it is NOT complete the day it is due (example: math review page for test).
The chart above does not apply to students who are absent from school when the assignment is due. However, it is the student’s responsibility to check-in with a reliable classmate or the teacher upon returning from an absence to coordinate assignments and due dates. Failure to do so could result in the loss of points on an assignment.
Requesting Homework for Extended Absences
Please do not request homework assignments from teachers if the student is only going to be out for one day. A study buddy (a reliable classmate) is the best person to contact for missing only one class. For extended absences, send ONE email addressed to all the teachers on the team. We can put together a sheet of assignments from the team and place the form+materials in the main office (or respond to email if no materials are needed).